The Afghan Community Advisory Group will be representative of individuals from a diverse range of genders, abilities, ethnicities, age groups, life experiences and educational backgrounds, who are motivated to provide an understanding of community issues and needs from their unique perspective.
SECL strongly values community input and insights and is seeking an opportunity to work directly with the Afghan community to better understand and address the unique challenges and barriers they face as they settle in Australia and engage with services and systems that directly impact upon their settlement and integration into the broader community.
The establishment of an Afghan Advisory Group aligns to our vision of ‘Every Person Counts, Every System Fair’ and our goals of improving social and economic outcomes for people in our community. This is a partnership with community members, young people and adults that will allow shared dialogue, growth and opportunities for improved settlement outcomes. This partnership supports SECL’s goals of reflective practice and continuous improvement and aims to enhance the design and delivery of SECL’s programs and services. SECL is seeking to develop a working relationship that is responsive to the Afghan community which is peer-led and informed by their experiences and insights.
Expression of Interest: Afghan Community Advisory Group
Eligible Community Members must:
- Be connected (live, work, study) in the Southeast Region of Melbourne
- Commit to attendance bi-monthly meetings for a duration of between 2 -3 hours AND ongoing communication with SECL staff members
- Have an interest in local issues and needs identified by members of the group and wider community.
- Be willing to contribute within meetings and participate in other opportunities to strengthen the relationship with SECL and the broader community.
- Be open to sharing their experiences, observations and understanding of various settlement related issues and related topics.
- Offer advice, ideas and suggestions that supports the goals of The Afghan Advisory Group.
- When required, consult community members on given topics or issues to expand our reach and understanding of community needs and preferences.
Benefits for Community Members:
- Training and professional development opportunities through South East Community Links and partner organisations.
- Work closely with your community to create positive change in their own and others’ lives.
- Become a key player and/or influencer within your community working towards the promotion of an Afghan voice in services that benefit others.
- An opportunity to expand your social networks and contacts in the community.
- Sustainable and strong relationships within the group and local services that can better respond to your communities’ needs.
- Continuous learning and capacity building through the Community Advisory Group
- An opportunity to learn about local workplace culture if you do not have previous work experience.
To express your interest in this project you will need to:
(1) Please complete the below details, answering each question as best you can
(2) Return this form to SECL staff office no later than 16 th Jan 2023
(3) South East Community Links will contact you to discuss your interest by the end of 30 th Jan 2023
Your contact details:
Thank you for very much for your time spent completing this application.
Please contact Divya Mohan 📞 0401 775 600 or Armita Abdollahyan 📞 0416 519 430 at South East Community Links for any questions or further information. We will be in contact with your very soon.